Exploding’ £1.50 candle from Primark launches ‘tiny shards of glass across the room’
A woman’s room was covered in tiny shards of glass by an exploding Primark candle.
Olivia Anderson was sat watching a film and scrolling on her phone when a “huge explosion” filled the room.
The 24-year-old sprang up and looked around, only to realise that the candle her dad had bought her as a Secret Santa gift was gone.
In its place was a dent in the wooden surface it had been standing on.
“I was looking at my phone screen and there was a huge explosion,” Olivia told The Mirror.
“I sat bolt upright and noticed that the candle wasn’t there anymore.
“The noise was phenomenal, literally an explosion.
“It left me incredibly shook up trying to work out what had happened.
“If I had happened to be standing next to or near it, I would have been penetrated by the tiny shards of glass.”
She added: “It was everywhere. Tiny pieces of it. Tiny shards of it were getting in my fingers.”
Olivia, who works as a virtual assistant, likened the noise of the blast to “dropping a dumbbell”.
“I was lucky I was on the other side of the room,” Olivia said.
“It was so powerful there were dents in the wood surface it was on and the unit next to it as well.
“It has scratched my Ikea furniture.”
The Sussex woman described herself as a “huge candle person.”
She had been burning this one – a Madagascan vanilla hexagonal glass Votive candle costing £1.50 – on and off for the past four weeks after her dad gave it to her as a Christmas gift.
Despite her avid candle burning, this is the first time she has had one blow-up on her.
“I have never had a candle casing that has exploded, ever,” Olivia said.
“I’m going to think twice about buying one from Primark.
“I still need to hoover and I wont be able to get rid of the dent.
“There’s a stain in the wood surface.”
A Primark spokesperson said: “We are very sorry to hear about Ms Anderson’s experience.
“Primark works really hard to ensure all our products are compliant with the relevant safety standards.
“In line with these standards, this particular candle includes a full list of safety instructions for use at the base of the product.
“We are in contact with the customer and will investigate what happened in this instance.”